Thursday, October 8, 2015

Self Medicating

This has been bothering me a lot lately and I thought I might share it with you. I have this conversation with someone close to me who thinks they know it all and I usually say, "ok Doctor." I have a nursing background and think I have a little more medical knowledge than them. 
Anyhow, self medicating is very dangerous, although many people do it. Occasionally using a pill to reduce fever or as an antacid usually causes no problem. But if you are using a non prescription medicine regularly, be sure to tell your doctor. At the same time, don't start taking a prescription drug regularly without talking to your doctor. 
Self medicating with narcotic pain pills is especially dangerous. If your pain is so great that you feel you need to take a narcotic pain pill that has not been prescribed for this condition, you need to see your physician immediately. Pain is a very efficient warning system that something is wrong with your body. If you interfere with that warning system by medicating with narcotics, you can create a problem with devastating consequences!

Mama McNabb

No comments: